Depth of Field: BTI’s summer research photo contest
The summer research season is around the corner. Help us celebrate and document your work in the lab or the field by entering BTI’s summer research photo contest. Whether it’s a close up of your favorite cell culture, or a portrait of a colleague hard at work, we’re looking for photos that represent the breadth of activities in BTI labs. So unleash your creativity and tweet your images @BTI_UMN with the hashtag #visualscience. And don’t forget to email us a copy of your entry as well to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re awarding prizes in five categories and will host a reception for winning photos this fall.
So take out your Digital SLR or Smartphone and show us your stuff. Get a better shot? Enter again! The number of entries is unlimited. See instructions below and good luck!
How to Enter
- Tweet your entry @BTI_UMN with the hashtag #visualscience
- Send a high resolution copy (at least 1024×768, such as from a smartphone or digital camera) to email@example.com. Include your name, lab, a location, date and brief description of the image. Let us know what alterations (if any) you made to the photo.
How will photos be judged?
- Photos are submitted to BTI Communications and collected. Photos must be submitted between June 1, 2022 and September 5, 2022 (Labor Day).
- Photos chosen for the exhibition will be printed and displayed at a reception this fall.
- Awards will be given in five categories:
- The people’s choice award will be given to the image with the highest number of likes on Twitter.
- The best photo story will be judged by the Science Communication Lab and awarded to the best sequence of images telling a research story.
- Two Director’s choice winners will be awarded by BTI Director Claudia Schmidt-Dannert for the best faculty photo and the best photo by a postdoc or graduate student.
- An on-site people’s choice award will be given to the image receiving the highest number of votes at the presentation gallery this fal
To be eligible to win:
- Be an undergraduate student, graduate student, postdoc, or faculty member in a BTI lab.
- Follow all contest instructions.
- Photos must be taken and submitted between June 1, 2022 and September 5, 2022 (Labor Day).
Can I enter more than once?
Yes! The number of entries is unlimited.
Do I have to be on Twitter?
Yes. We’re seeking photos to publicize BTI and increase our Twitter presence.
What happens if two different photos get the same number of votes?
The prize will be split between the two winners.
- The BioTechnology Institute retains the right to use any photos you enter in the contest for online and print marketing materials.
- Please keep your photos and captions “safe for work.” No lewdness or profanity, please.
- We retain the right to remove entries that break this rule.